Sunday, November 14, 2010

Starting on Wallpaper

Okay, this is my process on working on my e-wallpaper.

First, I create a new file. The size is International Paper A4. Then, I rotate the canvas to be landscape. After that, I placed a picture of kampong on the workspace.

It's good to rename the layer that the picture was on. I didn't rename until the end, because I kind of forgot. However, it didn't affect much with my managing the layers.

Then I selected the Quick Selection Tool because the contrast between the kampong house and the white sky allows me to use it easier.

Circled in red. :)

I drag the cursor around the object that I want to select which is the kampong house.


Then I right-clicked on the selected object and chose Layer Via Copy to transfer the selected object to another layer.


I deleted the layer of the original picture of the object so that all that is left is just the kampong house.


Then, I placed a picture of a mosque. I adjusted the size to the one that I want and right-clicked and then chose Place.

I used the same selection tool to select the mosque from the picture. After that, this is what I got:


As usual, it doesn't look too smooth.


To make the outlines of the kampong house and mosque smoother, I used the eraser tool and adjusted the diameter and hardness. I used a variety of sizes but kept the hardness at
about 60%.


I drag the cursor around the outline making sure it is smooth without any jagged ends.




I did the same thing with the mosque's layer and erased the unnecessary details around the outlines.


I used the Quick Selection tool on the kampong house and selected Filter>Sharpen>Smart Sharpen to make the image of the kampong house sharper and less blurry.


So now, they both look much smoother without any jagged details.


After that, I placed the picture of the father and daughter holding hands signifying forgiveness on Hari Raya. I used the quick selection tool (my favourite tool) to select the two figures and do the same as I did with the other images.



Then I used the eraser tool to get rid of the green BG (background) of the figures' image.


I used the paintbrush tool and selected green colour which is commonly associated with Aidilfitri festival and colored the BG layer full.
Then, I placed a picture of crescent moon on the BG and resized it.


I copied the crescent moon image so there will be two. One image I selected only the crescent moon and the other the star.


I selected the clone stamp tool as shown.


I sampled the star by clicking on it and pressing Alt at the same time. After that, I went to another area on the BG and click and drag the mouse. Another star appears. I did this several times to get more stars.


I selected the layer of the BG, the crescent moon and the star and merged them all together.








I opened the filter gallery and chose which effect I wanted for the each of the layer.

Kampong House = Pallete Knife
Mosque = Fresco
BG = Mosaic Tiles


Then, I selected the layer of the figures and the kampong to adjust their brightness and contrast.


I added text to the wallpaper that's suitable to the festival and chose yellow as the colour of the font.


I chose the Layer Style and added a drop shadow and outer glow to the text.

This is the final product. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment